PALM SPRINGS – Michelle Strauss, CEO of USA Pentathlon World Cup, is hosting a a Press Conference at 1 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 18 at the Palm Springs Convention and Visitors Bureau, 70-100 Highway 111 Rancho Mirage to kick off the upcoming event.
The Olympic sport of Modern Pentathlon is an exciting international competition first held at the 1912 Olympic games. It consists of five disciplines: fencing, swimming, equestrian show jumping, and a cross country run/laser target shoot combination finale.
The USA World Cup is the first in a series of five events this year culminating in the World Cup Final, May 31-June 2 in Nizhny Novgorod, Russia. Each competition yields an overall male and female champion. Series #1 will take place in Palm Springs at Sunrise Park, 1901 Baristo Road, Feb. 19-24.
Pentathletes from 22 countries will converge on Palm Springs hoping to gain valuable World Ranking points which could lead them to their dream of qualifying for the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.
The event schedule is:
• Tuesday, Feb 19 – Jury Ride, Opening Ceremonies
• Wednesday, Feb 20 – Men’s Qualifying
• Thursday, Feb 21 – Women’s Qualifying
• Friday, Feb 22 – Men’s Finals (full Pentathlon)
• Saturday, Feb 23 – Women’s Finals (full Pentathlon)
• Sunday, Feb 24 – Mixed Relay (full Pentathlon)