Everyone has heard about a cosmetic procedure that left a patient unsatisfied or worse. But don’t let those anecdotes scare you. There are plenty of qualified, talented doctors available for every procedure.
Whether you’re investigating a tummy tuck or laser fat removal, don’t rush to the first doctor in the phone book. For better results, do your research:
• Ask your friends for referrals, particularly if you like their results.
• While cost may be a factor, remember: less is not always more. This is your body, so opt with the best choice. Many doctors offer their patients financing choices that can help make procedures more affordable.
• Read reviews online. What kind of reputation does the doctor have?
Begin your research process at a site that offers patients an easy way to connect to multiple doctors quickly, as well as valuable resources on various procedures.
For example, www.locateadoc.com, a top online physician directory of 150,000 doctors, connects patients with cosmetic and plastic surgeons, hair restoration specialists, and ear nose and throat doctors. Prospective patients can search for a specialist by body part procedure, by treatment name, by location or by doctor’s last name.
• Schedule a consultation with several doctors so that you can get a sense of how knowledgeable they seem and how comfortable you feel with them, their staffs and offices. Develop a list of questions in advance and take notes to retain the specifics about each doctor and experience.
• A picture is worth a thousand words, so compare doctors’ work visually online. Filter results by procedure, gender, age, height and weight to see the results of patients similar to you.
• Investigate multiple procedures that deliver similar results to determine which is right for you.
By doing appropriate legwork in advance, you can walk into your procedure confident that you’ve made a good decision.